Home Decorating Style and You
Where You Really Stand with Your Home Decor
As our love of home decorating grows, so too does the selection of home decor products
. Manufacturers are trying to keep up with our varying decorating tastes ranging from contemporary to country and we're trying to keep up with all the choices! While the expansion of home decor products is exciting, it can also be daunting to rummage through the selection and make that final choice. But, fear not. The first step in making the right home decor choices is easier than you think because the answer will come from you
, with the help of our fun decorating style quiz.
Identifying Your Personal Decorating Style
While your home reflects your style, remember that it is where you live
and therefore should be truly comfortable and fit your needs. Identifying your personal style is important because it is your surroundings that will determine your comfort level. Entertaining for friends and family will be more enjoyable if your home furnishings are in harmony with your personal style.
The old adage "go with your gut" may be the most useful phrase when it comes to pin-pointing your taste. Style comes from within and is a reflection of your character and preferences. You already have a sense of style, whether you've determined it or not.
Take Our Decorating Style Quiz
Determining your home decorating style may not be as hard as you think. The trick is actually looking beyond your home decor and into your lifestyle. What you find may surprise you, whether your style leans toward country decorating, contemporary or another style of decorating altogether.
Your clothes, car and - yes, even what you eat - can all be traced back to one thing: your sense of style. We've compiled a few simple (and rather fun) questions to help you zero in on your decorative style. Just choose the answers that relate to you most, then see below to find out which decorating style fits you best. While the answers are just for fun, you may discover a little more about yourself!
Which of the following would you label your dream car?
- A sleek sports car equipped with all the latest, flashy features - and it's got to be trendy!
- A pickup truck that's as stylish as it is functional.
- A mid-sized SUV that's cleverly styled to suit both car lovers and sports enthusiasts.
- A classic car that represents history and offers a sense of formality.
- A vehicle that helps you enjoy a weekend drive with the wind in your hair.
Which of these meals are you most likely to prepare?
- A tofu stir-fry with a Cajun kick - you like to entertain with exciting dishes.
- Homemade pot roast and potatoes that give you a warm feeling.
- A sampler platter - you enjoy taste testing a variety of foods.
- Turkey with all the dressings - the perfect chance to use the formal dining room.
- Finger sandwiches with no fuss, no muss.
On a typical work day, which of these outfits would you most likely be seen wearing?
- Black dress pants or slacks with a bold striped button shirt.
- A pair of jeans to match a favorite comfy sweater.
- A stylish outfit with a mix of patterns and colors to represent your individualistic style.
- A formal dress or pant suit because you always dress for success.
- A comfortable pair of khakis, a denim jacket and your signature leather sandals.
If you could choose your favorite lighting fixture, what would it look like?
- A clean and crisp wall sconce.
- You prefer the light from your fireplace for that cozy ambiance.
- A Tiffany-style art glass table lamp that showcases brilliant colors and a unique style.
- A grandiose chandelier that welcomes guests into the foyer.
- A natural style ceiling fixture that features material such as bamboo.
Your dream house is:
- A stunning home with large windows and clean lines that overlooks water.
- A remodeled farm house with plenty of space for friends and family.
- A stylish condo in a hip metropolitan neighborhood.
- Only a spacious modern-day castle will do.
- A rustic log cabin surrounded by nature.
Now the results!
If you chose:
Mostly A's: You are a contemporary
decorator. You favor sleek, streamlined designs and form that follows function. Your living room tends to have leather furniture
and your home decor often features metal and glass with minimalist details.
Mostly B's: You are a country
decorator. Floral prints and comfy sofas with ruffled skirts may adorn your home. You enjoy heart-warming coziness that you get from your fireplace. Unpretentious is your motto.
Mostly C's: You are an eclectic
decorator. You're not afraid to mix up your home decor by crossing different periods and styles. Furniture with textured fabrics
linked only by color may be sprinkled throughout your home. You like home decor that represents your individualistic side.
Mostly D's: You are known as the traditional
decorator. The moment guests step into your home they are imbued with a sense of history. Queen Anne-style furniture
probably graces your dining room. Formal, symmetrical and graceful sums up your home decor.
Mostly E's: You are a casual
decorator. You live only by three words: relaxed, informal and comfortable. Neutral, earthy tones placate every room. You enjoy home decor that pays tribute to nature and textured fabrics.
Now that you know your decorating psyche, shopping for home decor can be easier. Remember that home decorating
is meant to be fun; so get out there and start decorating!